We are re-posting this job announcement for a new fellowship position to be home-based in our Bath office, but with program-wide responsibilities, so substantial work could be done out of the Ithaca office (or any other LawNY office). Travel throughout the LawNY service area will be required. This position is for a (2) year EJW Crime Victims Justice Corps Legal Fellow. Please feel free to share with interested and qualified friends, family and colleagues. We are looking for an attorney admitted to practice in New York with up to about five years of experience who can begin work by August 1, 2018.
Our Fellow will provide outreach, screening, information and referral, and direct, holistic legal representation services to victims of campus sexual assault throughout the 14-county LawNY service area in conjunction with LawNY’s existing sexual assault partner agencies network.
Inquiries and applications can be directed to Gregg A. Thomas, Managing Attorney, LawNY-Ithaca at email@example.com.
Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps Legal Fellowship
Organization: Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.
Fellowship: Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® will host a fellow over (2) years as part of the Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps. The fellowship should begin on or about June 1, 2018 and end May/June 2020.
The Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps is a legal fellowship program designed to increase capacity and access to civil legal help for crime victims. A cohort of approximately sixty fellows are placed at nonprofit organizations across the country to provide direct representation to victims of crimes, including human trafficking, fraud/identity theft, campus sexual assault, and hate crime, and immigrant victims of crime with meritorious claims for immigration relief. All fellows will incorporate crime victims’ rights enforcement into their practice and will receive training from the National Crime Victim Law Institute and other training and technical assistance providers.
This program is supported by an award from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Justice Programs, Office for Victims of Crime, Award Number 2017-MU-MU-K131, and private funding.
The fellow will be supervised by Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® and based in Bath, New York.
The Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps Fellow will:
• Provide direct legal services to crime victims/survivors affected by campus sexual assault
• Provide crime victims’ rights enforcement
• Coordinate with sexual assault service providers, conduct outreach and education activities, provide referrals, and leverage pro bono resources
• Contribute to programmatic reporting required under the federal award
• Collaborate with other Equal Justice Works Crime Victims Justice Corps Fellows
• Actively participate in mandatory in-person training programs including two-day Crime Victims Justice Corps Victim Law Boot Camp training on June 28-29, 2018 in Washington, DC; learning event at the end of the Fellowship; annual three-day Equal Justice Works Leadership Development Training in October/November 2018 and 2019 in Washington, DC; and training calls with the National Crime Victim Law Institute
• Create self-help and informational materials
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
• Licensed to practice law in New York
• A demonstrated commitment to public interest work and desire to assist crime victims
• Strong writing, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
• An ability to provide victim-centered, trauma-informed, and culturally competent legal assistance to crime victims/survivors
• An ability to work collaboratively in a variety of contexts and with multiple organizations to facilitate comprehensive services to crime victims/survivors
• Ability to begin the fellowship by on or about June 1, 2018 and serve for 2 years
• Those with legal experience in crime victims’ rights enforcement and victim service are strongly encouraged to apply
• Law school clinic, externship, summer or other relevant practice experience a plus
Salary and other support
The Fellow will receive an annual salary, as well as the benefits listed below. Interested applicants should contact LawNY with any follow-up questions.
Benefits provided by Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.®
• Health and dental insurance
• Low cost vision plan
• Position related travel reimbursement
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is a not-for-profit law firm providing free legal services to eligible clients in civil cases through seven regional offices covering a fourteen county area in Western New York.
Application Deadline: May 4, 2018 — Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and provide the following materials with regard to their application:
Applicants should submit a cover letter describing qualifications, resume, writing sample and the name and contact information for (3) references by May 4, 2018 to ensure full consideration. Applications will be accepted beyond that date until the position is filled. Applications should be addressed to Colleen Leonard, HR Administrator, and sent to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. The Equal Justice Works Fellow is scheduled to begin the term of service no later than June 1, 2018. (Now extended to August 1, 2018 ~GT)
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.® (LawNY®) is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or veteran status. LawNY encourages applications from diverse candidates. LawNY welcomes applications regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or any other consideration protected by law. This position is considered Exempt pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Gregg A. Thomas
Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc.®
(formerly Tompkins/Tioga Neighborhood Legal Services)
902 Taber Street, Suite 1
Ithaca, New York 14850
phone: (607) 273-3667
fax: (607) 273-5521